Red Devils Blog

Casemiro's Departure Marks the End of an Era at Old Trafford

It’s official. Casemiro will leave Manchester United when his contract expires this summer, and the club have confirmed they won’t be triggering the one-year extension option.

The news, announced on Thursday, brings to an end what can only be described as a turbulent but trophy-laden spell for the Brazilian midfielder. Four years, five different managers, two cups, and an awful lot of money—that’s the Casemiro story at Old Trafford in a nutshell.

The Numbers Don’t Lie (But They Don’t Tell the Whole Story Either)

When United splashed out £60 million on Casemiro in August 2022, eyebrows were raised. Signing a 30-year-old on wages reportedly north of £350,000-per-week wasn’t exactly the long-term thinking fans had been crying out for. The deal, all told, has cost United somewhere in the region of £120 million when you factor in wages—and there’s no resale value walking out the door with him.

But reducing Casemiro’s time at the club to a balance sheet misses the point entirely.

The man arrived fresh from winning his fifth Champions League title with Real Madrid—a serial winner dropped into a squad that hadn’t lifted a trophy since 2017. Within six months, he’d scored the opener in a Carabao Cup final win over Newcastle at Wembley. He’d add an FA Cup winner’s medal the following season, even if he missed the final itself through suspension after picking up a red card against Crystal Palace.

In total, Casemiro made 146 appearances and scored 21 goals—not bad for a defensive midfielder. He became a fan favourite almost instantly, his combative style and knack for crucial goals making him one of the few players supporters connected with during an otherwise chaotic period.

Working Under the Fifth Boss

Casemiro’s final months at the club will see him work under Michael Carrick, who was appointed interim head coach earlier this month following Ruben Amorim’s sudden departure.

It’s somewhat fitting, really. Carrick spent 12 years patrolling the same midfield areas for United, winning five Premier League titles in the process. If anyone understands what Casemiro brings to a dressing room—the professionalism, the standards, the mentality of a winner—it’s him.

Carrick’s first game back in the dugout came against Manchester City at Old Trafford last Saturday, a fixture that demanded exactly the kind of experience and composure Casemiro offers. Whether the 33-year-old remains a regular starter for the remainder of the campaign remains to be seen, but his presence in the squad during this transitional period shouldn’t be underestimated.

So, What Happens Next?

This is where it gets complicated.

United’s midfield has been a problem area for years, and Casemiro’s departure only accelerates the need for investment. The club appear to be pinning their hopes on Kobbie Mainoo as the long-term solution in the middle of the park, but expecting a 20-year-old to carry that burden alone is a big ask.

Names have been floated. Elliot Anderson, who’s been outstanding for Nottingham Forest since his move from Newcastle, is reportedly a target—but Forest are demanding around £100 million, and United face competition from City, Chelsea, and Bayern Munich. Former United defender Paul Parker has even warned the club off the move, calling it “foolhardy” given the fee involved.

Then there’s Adam Wharton at Crystal Palace. The 21-year-old made a surprise appearance in England’s Euro 2024 squad and has continued to impress, with Palace reportedly valuing him at somewhere between £65 million and £150 million depending on who you ask. Reports suggest United may wait until next summer before making a move, preferring to let a permanent manager shape transfer policy.

That makes sense. The current setup—Carrick in charge on an interim basis until the end of the season—isn’t conducive to making £100 million decisions. United’s hierarchy have reportedly told potential targets that long-term squad planning will wait until a permanent appointment is made.

The Reality of Where United Are

Let’s be honest: this isn’t a club competing for titles right now.

The rebuild has been ongoing for the better part of a decade, and while there have been moments of promise—Amorim’s early results, the FA Cup win, occasional thrashings of lesser opposition—United remain firmly in transition. The squad is unbalanced, the wage bill bloated, and the managerial merry-go-round shows no signs of stopping.

Casemiro’s departure won’t derail title ambitions because there aren’t really any title ambitions to derail. What it does is remove a voice of experience from a dressing room that desperately needs leadership, at a time when the club is once again trying to find its footing under new management.

A Proper Send-Off

In a video released by the club on Thursday, Casemiro spoke about what his time at Old Trafford has meant to him and his family.

“It means so much, not just for me, but for all my family,” he said. “Since the first minute, I have felt at home.”

For all the debates about whether the transfer represented value for money—and you can make arguments either way—there’s no denying Casemiro gave everything whenever he pulled on the shirt. He played through criticism, adapted to multiple tactical systems under multiple managers, and delivered when it mattered most.

The Stretford End will give him a proper send-off when the time comes. He’s earned that much.

What comes next for United’s midfield is anyone’s guess. But as one era ends, the search for Casemiro’s successor will define whether this club can finally start moving forward rather than perpetually treading water.


Casemiro departs with two winners’ medals, 146 appearances, and 21 goals. Not a bad return for a player written off by some before he’d even kicked a ball.

© 2026 Red Devils Blog
RSS